Steptoe Valley is a large range in White Pine County. Conveniently located very close to the city of Ely, it is a popular spot for local recreators. Nearby lakes offer opportunities for water sports, while photographers and off-road enthusiasts will enjoy the wide ranging terrain and abundant wildlife. Seasonal creeks and year-round water bodies provide unusually lush areas, attracting flora and fauna that stand in stark contrast to the surrounding sagebrush habitat.
While some of these roads can be accessed year round, the alpine desert of White Pine County is seasonally inundated with rain and snow, making some routes difficult. Some visitors may have occasional cellphone service from Ely. It is always best to be prepared, and treat even local excursions as trips requiring water and emergency supplies.
To Cave Lake State Park, in South Steptoe Valley, from Ely:
- Head South on US Highway 50 East for 7 miles.
- Turn left onto State Highway 486 and continue for 6.5 miles.
- OHV use may be restricted within the State Recreation Area proper. Please heed all traffic control signs.
Rules of the Road
Land Manager: Bureau of Land Management
702 North Industrial Way
Ely, NV 89301
Please follow all State Park campground rules.
Always plan ahead and prepare for uncertainty. Travel with warm clothing, first aid, food, water and appropriate tools to fix a problem.
Traveling in groups is always a good idea, as well as informing someone of where you will be going.
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Other Visitors