- Crescent Sand Dunes KMZ
- Crescent Sand Dunes GPX
- Crescent Sand Dunes PDF
- Crescent Dunes Trails KMZ
- Georeferenced Avenza Maps
The Crescent Sand Dune area, also known as Tonopah Dunes, lie north of Tonopah, adjacent to the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project facility. The area is remote, and crowds are rare. The dunes are steep and tall, and paddle tires are recommended for motorcycles.
Staging and dispersed camping area is allowed, with no amenities or services. Use caution when parking and staging – sand can be soft around the edges of the staging area, and vehicles can get stuck easily.
Open OHV use on un-vegetated sand areas is allowed. OHV travel is limited to existing roads and trails in vegetated areas.
From Tonopah, Nevada:
- Head West on US 6 / US 95 for approximately 4 miles.
- Turn right between mile marker 55 and 54 onto Gabbs - Poleline Road (Route 89) and travel approximately 9 miles.
- Entrance to Crescent Dunes site will be on your right and will consist of a 2 mile unimproved dirt road to the site. Caution should be used in the area as vehicles can get stuck easily in the sand around the Dunes.
Rules of the Road
Land Manager: Bureau of Land Management
BLM Field Office - Tonopah
1553 South Main Street
Tonopah, NV 89049
Telephone: (775) 482-7800
Motor vehicles are permitted on designated trails only.
Always plan ahead and prepare for uncertainty. Travel with warm clothing, first aid, food, water and appropriate tools to fix a problem.
Traveling in groups is always a good idea, as well as informing someone of where you will be going.
- Register Your Vehicle
- Make sure your vehicle is equipped with a spark arrestor
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Other Trail Users
OHV travel is limited to existing roads and trails. OHV use on un-vegetative sand areas is allowed.