Clayton Valley Sand Dunes was designated as a Special Recreation Management Area in the Tonopah Recreation Management Plan. The site is closed to competitive recreational events.
OHV use is limited to un-vegetated sand areas and existing roads and trails.
Note: Take some time to visit the Alkali Hot Springs, which is about 7 miles off of HWY 95 on Silver Peak Rd.
- Head North on US Highway 95 for 4 miles.
- Turn left on Alkali Road/Silver Springs-Oasis Divide Road and continue for 28 miles. The dunes will become visible on the left.
- Turn left onto South Clayton Valley East-West Road and continue 3 miles to the base of the dunes.
Rules of the Road
Land Manager: Bureau of Land Management
BLM Field Office - Tonopah
1553 South Main Street
Tonopah, NV 89049
Telephone: (775) 482-7800
Motor vehicles are permitted on designated trails and un-vegetated dune areas only.
Always plan ahead and prepare for uncertainty. Travel with warm clothing, first aid, food, water and appropriate tools to fix a problem.
Traveling in groups is always a good idea, as well as informing someone of where you will be going.
- Register Your Vehicle
- Make sure your vehicle is equipped with a spark arrestor
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Other Trail Users